- Candidates interested for JEE (Main) – 2017 have to apply online only.
- The JEE (Main) will be conducted by the JEE Apex Board (JAB). The Paper-1 of JEE (Main) will also be the ‘eligibility-cum-screening-test’ for the JEE (Advanced), which the candidate has to take compulsorily if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programmes offered by the IITs / ISM-Dhanbad.
- JEE (Main) – 2017 shall have two papers, Paper-1 for B. E. / B. Tech. and Paper-2 for B. Arch. / B. Planning. The Paper-1 of JEE (Main) will be conducted in two separate modes i.e. Offline (Pen and Paper based exam) or Online (Computer based exam). A candidate will opt for either Offline or Online modes for Paper-1 only. The Paper-2 of JEE (Main) will be conducted only in Offline mode.
- The Offline Exam will be on 1st week of April and Online Exam on 2nd week of April.
- The JEE (Main) Paper-1 is consist of 90 questions (30 questions in each subject). Each question carries 4 marks. 1/4th negative marking for each incorrect answer. Duration of Paper is 3 hrs.
- The medium of question paper shall be mainly in English and Hindi language.
- The candidates must have completed 17 years and he/she should not be completed 25 years, the year in which he/she appears for JEE (Main).
About JEE (Main)
The Joint Entrance Examination (Main) – 2017 will be conducted by the JEE Apex Board (JAB) for admission to Undergraduate Engineering Programmes in NITs, IIITs and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions etc.shall include the performance in the JEE (Main), according to the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
For admission to NITs, Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs) like IIITs etc. and other participating Institutions, the merit/rank list shall be prepared based on 40% weightage to school Boards marks in Class 12th or equivalent examination and 60% weightage to JEE (Main). The weightage to school Board/Equivalent examination marks shall be considered only after normalization.
The States of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Uttrakhand, Nagaland and Odisha have joined JEE (Main) system. Therefore, the candidates seeking admission to the institutions in these states, which were earlier admitting based on their State level examination, are also advised to fill in the JEE (Main) – 2017 application form online.
JEE (Main) – 2017 shall have two papers, Paper-1 (B.E. / B. Tech.) and Paper-2 (B. Arch. / B. Planning). Depending upon on the course (s) candidates are seeking admission, may take Paper-1 (B.E. / B. Tech.), or Paper-2 (B. Arch. / B. Planning), or both. Information provided below only for Paper-1 (B.E. / B. Tech).
- Subjects: Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics
- Type of Questions: Objective type with equal weightage to Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics
- Mode of Exam: Pen and Paper based Exam OR Computer based Exam
The detailed information bulletin containing details of examination, syllabus, eligibility criteria to appear, examination fee, cities of examination, State code of eligibility, age relaxation, process of normalization of marks, eligibility for admission, reservation policies and important dates will be available on JEE (Main) websitewww.jeemain.nic.in
Important Dates for JEE (Main) 2017
|1.||The online application process will start from 18th Novomber, 2016 onwards.|
|2.||The last date for application is 16th January, 2017|
|3.||Offline Exam (Pen & Paper based) will be on 2nd April 2017|
|4.||Online Exam (Computer based) on 8th & 9th April, 2017|
|5||Result of JEE (Main) will be published on 27th April 2017|
The following criteria shall be followed to appear in JEE (Main) 2017
|1.||Date of Birth – General Category candidates, only whose date of birth falls on or after 01 October, 1992 is eligible. For the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) / Persons with Disabilities (PwD) there is a relaxation of 5 years in the upper age i.e. who are born on or after October 01, 1987 are eligible.|
|2.||Year of Passing Qualifying Examination – Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2015 or 2016 OR those who are appearing in their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2017 are eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2016.|
|3.||Number of Subjects in the Qualifying Examination – The candidates willing to appear for improvement examination of class 12th in 2017 have to appear in all the 5 subjects as per the scheme of study of the concerned board such as, (1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics, 4-Any one of the subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subjects), 5-Any other subject) in class 12th / qualifying examination in order to be eligible for writing JEE (Main) – 2017.
Further, they may also note that in the percentile system, the total marks of all five subjects obtained/shown on the mark-sheet of a particular year are required in JEE (Main) and also in JEE (Advanced).
|4.||Number of Attempts – The number of attempts which a candidate can avail at JEE (Main) shall be limited to 03 (three) in consecutive years.|
|5.||Number of Attempts and Age Limit for the States of Odisha – The age limit, for admission to institutions in the state of Odisha which were earlier admitting candidates based on their Sate level examinations, will be as per their past practice only. The number of attempts in such cases will also remain same as per their past practice. This will, however, be obviously not applicable for admission to IITs/NITs/IIITs/CFTIs.|
|Sections||Type of Questions||No. of Questions||Marking Scheme||Negative Marks||Duration|
|1||Single Correct Answer Type||Physics-30
|4 x 30 = 120
4 x 30 = 120
4 x 30 = 120
|MCQs with equal weightage to PCM||Total – 90||MM – 360|
In order to appear in JEE (Main) – 2017, the candidates are required to apply online only.
Online Application Form Submission
- Online application has to be submitted through JEE (Main) – 2017 website www.jeemain.nic.in.
- The aspiring candidate should furnish all the details and upload scanned image of his/her photograph, signature and left hand thumb impression while filling up the ‘On-line’ Application.
- Candidates are required to take a print out of the computer generated acknowledgment slip after successful submission of data and payment of fee and keep the same in the safe custody for any future reference.
- The candidates are required NOT to send any document to JEE (Main) Secretariat.
Seven (7) Steps to be followed to apply online
Step 1: Download the information bulletin and read it carefully to ensure your eligibility.
Step 2: Read the contents of Online Format and instructions for applying online given in the Information Bulletin and keep the entire information ready.
Step 3: Keep the Scanned Images of your Photograph, Signature and Left Hand Thumb Impression ready in JPG format only.
Step 4: Fill in the Online Application Form.
Step 5: Upload Scanned Images of Photograph, Signature and Left Hand Thumb Impression.
Step 6: Pay Examination Fee by Debit/Credit card or e-challan (generated after submission of details in online application form).
Step 7: Download Acknowledgement Slip and keep the same in safe custody for future reference.
NOTE – The candidate should mention only his/her own Mobile No. and E- Mail ID while submitting the On-line application, as all the communications will be sent to the candidates on their registered Mobile Number and E-mail ID only.
For information about JEE (Advanced), the candidates are advised to visit JEE (Advanced) websitewww.jeeadv.ac.in
Number of Seats in various Institutions
The candidates are advised to refer the website of Central Counselling Board or the concerned state government/institute after declaration of ranks of JEE (Main)-2017 for number of seats in various institutions.
RESERVATION OF SEATS
As per Government of India rules, candidates belonging to certain categories are admitted to seats reserved for them based on relaxed criteria. These categories are:
- Other Backward Classes (OBC) if they belong to Non Creamy Layer (NCL)
- Scheduled Castes (SC)
- Scheduled Tribes (ST)
- Persons with Disability (PwD)
Benefit of reservation for admission to NITs/IIITs and for CFTIs shall be given only to those classes/castes/tribes which are in the central list published by the Govt of India. For admission to State Engineering colleges who have opted for admission through JEE (Main)-2017, the reservation rules of that state shall only apply.
JOINT ENTRANCE EXAMINATION (Main) Unit,
H-149, Sector-63, Noida,
District – Gautam Budh Nagar – 201 309 (UP).
The information and its analysis given over here are based on various press releases/ notifications/ information bulletin available on authentic websites.