- BITSAT is a Computer based online test for Admission to Integrated First Degree Programmes of BITS Pilani.
- BITSAT is your gateway to admissions in the three BITS campuses i.e. BITS Pilani Campus, K.K. Birla Goa Campus, and the Hyderabad Campus.
- Candidate who have passed 12th Examination in the year of entrance exams or previous year.
- Held during the month of May every year, it is conducted through a Computer-Based Test (CBT).
- A candidate can apply online only once for BITSAT.
The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani is an all India Institution declared as Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act. This is also called BITSAT, which is a Computer based online test for Admission to Integrated First Degree Programmes of BITS Pilani Campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad. ‘Computer Based Online test’ means the candidate sits in front of a computer and the questions are presented on the computer monitor and the candidate answers the questions on the computer through the use of keyboard or mouse. Each computer is connected to a server, which prepares the question set and delivers it to the candidate on the computer. This is unlike the traditional paper-pencil based test. This test will be referred to as ‘BITS Admission Test or BITSAT’.
Important Dates for (BITS)-Pilani Entrance Exam
|1.||Deadline to apply for BITSAT: March|
|2.||Test center allotment and announcement to candidates: March|
|3.||Candidates to reserve Test dates: March to April|
|4.||Candidates to download the Hall tickets with instructions: April to May|
|5.||BITSAT Online tests: May|
|6.||Candidates to apply for admission with 12th marks and Preferences to Degree programs: May to June|
|7.||Admit List and Wait List announcement: July last|
The following criteria shall be followed to appear in BITS
- Applicants should have passed class 12 or equivalent exam (from any state or central board of school education) with 75% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics/Biology. They also need to have secured 60% marks separately in each of the three subjects. Proficiency in English is another requirement for appearing in BITSAT.
- Only those candidates, who are appearing in class 12th or have cleared 12th, are eligible for BITSAT.
- Top rankers or candidates with Rank 1 in the central or state boards in India will be offered admissions to the programmes of their choice, irrespective of their score/rank in BITSAT, but must meet the aforesaid eligibility criteria.
BITSAT exam pattern?
- BITSAT will be conducted through Online Mode (Computer Based Exam).
- The exam duration will be 3 hours.
- The question paper will comprise of 150 objective-type questions (Multiple Choice Questions).
- Each correct answer fetches three marks, while one mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
- The candidates may choose to skip a question, but the computer will not allow the candidates to choose more than one option as the correct answer.
- The question paper will have four sections with marks assigned to them in the following fashion.
- If a candidate finishes attempting all 150 questions before time has ended, he/she will get to attempt 12 BONUS questions. These questions will have a +3, -1 marking scheme just like the rest of the paper. These extra questions will be from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics only; four questions from each part. Further, once the candidate has opted for extra questions, he cannot go back for correction of any of the earlier answered 150 questions. The questions are so designed that a good student will be able to answer 150 questions in 180 minutes. The extra questions will give a chance to highly meritorious candidates to score higher.
Note, however, that the candidate won’t be allowed to access the earlier 150 questions if he/she decides to attempt bonus questions.
|Parts||Subjects||No. of Questions||Marking Scheme||Negative Marks||Duration|
|(I)||Physics||01 – 40 = 40||3 x 40 = 120||-1||3 Hrs.
|(II)||Chemistry||41 – 80 = 40||3 x 40 = 120||-1|
|(III)||(a) English Proficiency and
(b) Logical Reasoning
|81 – 95 = 15
96 – 105 = 10
|3 x 15 = 45
3 x 10 = 30
|(IV)||Mathematics||106 – 150 = 45||3 x 45 = 135||-1|
|Total 4 Parts & 5 Subjects||Total – 150||MM – 450|
How to register for BITSAT?
The BITSAT 2017 Application Form will be tentatively available from the last week of December. After that, you may apply for the test from the official website. Please follow these simple steps to register yourself for BITSAT.
Please note that the BITSAT Application Form will be available only in the online mode and in the second week of January. Before starting with the Application Form procedure, you need to keep the following things handy.
- Your 12th standard qualification details
- Your Permanent Address
- A valid E-Mail Id & Phone Number
- Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking Login id & Password (For Online Mode of Payment)
- Confirmation Receipt of Pay-in-slip (for Offline Mode of Payment)
You can follow these steps to fill up the BITSAT application form.
- Visit the BITSAT official website and click on ‘Apply here for BITSAT’.
- Read instructions on the page carefully and click on ‘Allow me to Apply Online’ tab.
- Enter your basic details such as Name, Gender, DOB and a valid E-mail id for registration and click on the ‘Proceed’ tab.
- Next, you’re required to enter your parents’ name, nationality, and complete address along with a mobile number. Furthermore, you will be asked to enter your 12th examination details (Name of Institute, Board, Year of passing, etc.).
- Now, you need to enter your choice of Preferred Test Centres. You can choose the centres from within India or Dubai. If you select centres within India, you will be asked to give three preferences and one out of the three will be allotted to you. If you choose Dubai as a centre you won’t be asked for any preferences, and the Dubai Centre will be allotted to you.
- Once you’re done, click on the SUBMIT tab. You will be asked to verify all the details and confirm your submission.
- Once you submit your BITSAT application form, the system will generate a Unique Registration Number for you. Note down this number as it will be required for all future references.
- Now, comes the payment part. You can choose to pay through the offline mode i.e. via ICICI Bank Challan payment or through the online mode i.e. Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking. According to your choice, you will be directed to the payment gateway.
- Please note that if you choose centres within India, the Application Fee for male candidates is Rs.2200/- and for female candidates is Rs.1700/-. If you choose Dubai as your test centre, then the Application Fee for both male and female candidates is US$50.
- After completing the online BITSAT Application Form, you will be asked to take printouts of the filled form. You should take two copies of the printout and keep them with you for future reference.
- Once the application form process is complete, please keep checking the BITSAT Application Form Status to ensure that your application request has been acknowledged.
- If you discover any mistake in the Application form that you’ve submitted, you can edit or correct the form details till the first week of March.
In case you choose to pay through the online mode i.e. Credit Card/ Debit Card or Net Banking, keep the following points in mind to avoid any confusion at a later stage.
- The BITS server does not collect any information on your credit card details such as credit card number, expiry date, etc.
- If the payment is successful and BITS receives the amount, when you log into BITS admission website next time, you will be taken to the print page wherein you can print the application form along with the payment receipt.
- During the payment process, if the link fails to open or if you receive any error messages, you are advised to re-login to the BITS Admission website with your personal details and application number. If BITS has not received the money, you will be taken to the page wherein you have to select the payment method and continue once again. If the payment is already received, you will be taken to the printout page as explained above.
- While applying online, do not use the ‘Back’ button on the toolbar of your browser.Use the links and tabs available on the page to move from one page to another. Further, when you have completed applying, close all the open browser windows for safety purposes.
Syllabus for BITSAT?
- Units and Measurements
- Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Impulse and Momentum
- Work and Energy
- Rotational Motion
- Mechanics of Solids and Fluids
- Heat and Thermodynamics
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Modern Physics
- Electronic Devices
- States of Matter
- Atomic Structure
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Physical and Chemical Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics
- Hydrogen and s-block elements
- Principles of Organic Chemistry
- Organic Compounds with functional groups containing oxygen and Nitrogen
- Theoretical principles of experimental chemistry
- Biological Chemistry
- Industrial Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Complex numbers
- Theory of Quadratic Equations
- Geometric and harmonic progressions
- Logarithms and their properties
- Exponential Series
- Permutations and Combinations
- Binomial Theorem
- Pascal’s Triangle
- Straight Lines & Pair of Straight Lines
- Sets, Relations and Functions
- Matrices Determinants
- Heights & Distances
- Three-Dimensional geometry
- Limits, Continuity and Differentiability
- Application of Derivatives
- Definite and Indefinite Integration
- Area Under Curves
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Linear Programming
English and Analytical Ability:
- Grammar and Vocabulary
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal and Non- Verbal Reasoning
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Word Formation
- Error Correction
- Theme Detection
- Fill in the Blanks
- Unseen Passages
- Idioms & Phrases
Reference Books for BITSAT
- Concepts of Physics, part 1 and 2 – H.C Verma
- NCERT Textbooks – Class 11th and 12th
- Understanding Physics series – D.C Pandey
- NCERT Textbooks – Class 11th and 12th
- O.P Tandon books – Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
- NCERT Textbooks – Class 11th and 12th
- R.D Sharma Mathematics
- BITSAT English Proficiency and Logical Reasoning – Disha Publications
- The Pearson Complete Guide to BITSAT – One Learn Education
All round textbooks for BITSAT:
- A Complete Success Package for BITSAT – Arihant
- A Complete Guide to BITSAT – Disha Publications
The Admissions Officer,
BITS Pilani – 333031
The information and its analysis given over here are based on various press releases/ notifications/ information bulletin available on authentic websites.